Nothing like a nice lunchtime Usdan fire alarm to get the day started right. Only this time, there was a real fire. The culprit: An electrical fire in the basement (I’ve been told a surge protector melted). Here are the immediate effects:
- The basement is currently closed to everyone. Hopefully you don’t have a package to pick up…
- Bon Appétit–or at least the Marketplace–seems to be essentially unaffected (I just had lunch). Granted, this is the “limited service” period, so I’m not sure if any problems would have been noticeable. I haven’t heard anything about this affecting dinner.
- There is no internet in the building (I’m writing this from PAC Lab). All of the routers are out, and the terminals don’t seem to be working, either. Also, the information touchscreens and weather/news monitors throughout the building are off. The WesCard readers on the vending machines aren’t working.
- If you’re walking around the entrance near Fayerweather (the one closest to the mailboxes), there is a strong smell of what seems kind of like paint (and is probably from the melted surge protector/smoke). It’s somewhat of an annoyance.
- As far as I can tell, Fayerweather is unaffected, including the basement.
No word yet on where all this went down. There’s a server room in the Usdan/Fayerweather connector that may have been the culprit, considering the internet outages. I’m fairly certain it was a mechanical room. I’ll be lurking in the building this afternoon and will post any updates/additional information as I receive them.