Sometimes, it’s hard to really articulate to your friends just how impossible life is going to a school with one of the highest sticker tags in the country. In the spirit of #firstworldproblems, however, an intrepid Smith College student created Smithies’ Complaints to service this exact need at a peer institution with a similar problem. The About section summarizes things pretty much perfectly:
Smith College is really excellent. But it is full of college students, and we love to complain. Comparatively, though, our complaints are probably not common ones.
I like to think of it as something like the ACB, but somewhat less conducive to trolling (not to imply they don’t have an ACB of their own). This normalizes content into a less erratic, but still generally enjoyable range of entries in easy-to-digest tumblr format.
Feast your New England small-college-going sensibilities on some choice examples:
- My mom rolled her eyes and called me a hippie when I told her it’s ableist to use the word “lame” in a derogatory way.
- Girl on my hall didn’t refill her adderall prescription. Now I’m just going to watch the L Word all night.
- DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT EXTENDING THE DEADLINE ONLY MEANS I HAVE MORE TIME TO PROCRASTINATE? DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW GOOD TELEVISION HAS GOTTEN?
- No one wants to play my new drinking game “Read the course catalog and take a shot every time the words ‘globalization’ or ‘gender’ appear.”
- “Issues in Queer Studies” didn’t even get me laid.
Don’t trust my judgment? Fair enough. Go hunting for favorites on your own. This interview with the creator on Smith’s equivalent of Wesleying may also tickle your fancy in all the right (wrong?) places.