Forty minutes ago:
- Usdan Tabler: “Hey! You! Want to sign up to unplug on February twelfth and go a whole day without your computer and—”
- Me: [shakes head. sad smile.]
- Usdan Tabler: “Oh. Yeah. Huh. I guess you can’t. You’re, like, a blogger.”
Look: just because I’m not participating in this horrifying madness of “real human interaction” and “appreciation of the world around us” doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. In fact, all these excellent people are doing it (see: video below)! And there will be an opening ceremony in Usdan at 6:00 on Friday. Peer pressure peer pressure peer pressure peer pressure:
The cause will be tabling everyday at Usdan lunch. Here’s the pitch:
This Friday evening, the 11th, through Saturday, the 12th, we’re trying something new. How many kids do you see on their iPhones or laptops right this second? Are we addicted to texting and Facebook? We’re trying to get the whole campus to try a day without cell phones and computers in an effort to spawn real human interaction and an appreciation of the world around us.
Usdan tabling at lunch and dinner every day this week.
The first 90 people to donate to Oddfellows Playhouse at the Wesleyan Unplugging Usdan table will get a voucher for a t-shirt at the opening ceremony. This is where everyone shuts off their cell phones and will be held in the middle of Usdan at 6 PM this Friday, the 11th.
- Date: Friday, February 11
- Time: 6:00 PM
- Place: Usdan
- Cost: You have to, like, turn off your cell phone or something . . .