This post features a guest perspective by Will F. ’13 regarding a show organized by Will F. ’13, which also featured Will F ’13. Also included: lots of photos of everyone else who enjoyed the hell out of this show—including, but certainly not limited to, Will F. ’13.
You don’t need to serve on the Concert Committee to organize a show at Wesleyan. You just need to approach the Committee for approval, with backing from a WSA-recognized student group.
Will F. ’13 knows how the system works. (Why don’t more students take advantage of this?) That’s how he made this fantastic(al) dream lineup become a reality last Friday night at WestCo Cafe. On the bill: notoriously rowdy rock-rap collective Static Stamina (featuring Nicole Lepre ’13, Danny Sullivan ’13, Adrien DeFontaine ’13, Stefan Skripak ’13, Jacob Eichengreen ’13, Nate Jacobs ’13, and Will F. himself); Skidmore-based “friendcore” rockers The Hand-Me-Downs; and—here’s the kicker—seminal DYI punk group Bomb the Music Industry!, which is basically Static Stamina’s collective favorite band ever. Thanks, Student Budget Committee. You’re the best!
After the jump you’ll find choice images from Static and Bomb! sets (sorry, Hand-Me-Downs—too busy working the door to photograph yours), plus Will’s roundup of favorite moments from said performances. Mad creepy A-Batte face shots at no extra cost.
Will’s Favorite Moments from His (Static Stamina’s) Set:
- Amount of people on stage for our “Semi-Charmed Life” cover. (Reminder: “Doo-doo-doo! Doo-duh doo-doo!”)
- Being dropped quite hard on the stage after a crowd-surfing moment.
- Adrien and Molly being nauseatingly too cute together during every song.
- The “Swag! Swag!” chant we started during “We Bought the Ocean,” and . . .
- The same chant the crowd started after we finished. (See: Odd Future on Fallon.)
- Also, the amount of people singing the chorus to “We Bought the Ocean.”
- But they should know that they aren’t the ones who bought the ocean.
It’s just the band. Pay the toll.
- Way less than non-alcoholic drink poured up my nose during our last
song (“Rock Gods”). Most painful part of the show.
Will’s Favorite Moment From Bomb the Music Industry!:
- The amount of students who guested Bomb fans who came from far away. Very cool.
- Bomb’s creative pizza creations in their greenroom (Nate Jacob ’13 and Frank Fineis ’13‘s room in Down 2)! Gummi worms pizza.Yogurt pretzel pizza. Smartfood pizza. (“It’s just more cheese!”)
- Bomb’s cover of “All the Small Things” in the middle of Bike Test 123. (Confirmed to be a surprise to everyone except for Jeff, the frontman.)
- Anwar Batte ’13 singing “Party Hard” for Bomb as they attempted to play his Andrew WK request. Lasted half a song. But was too good.
- Bomb explaining that they may have been stand-offish when they got to Wesleyan because they had listened to Metallica’s Load during their ride over, followed by ReLoad, all the videos from these albums, and Avril Lavigne covers of songs from these albums.