Here’s wishing a happy and healthful 54th birthday to everyone’s favorite university administrator! For the one man on campus who works just as hard as those thesiscrazy demons but probably won’t get a chance to swig champagne on the Olin steps next Tuesday: take it easy for once. Celebrate in style.[nggallery id=4]
As posted last year, here is a partial collection of links pertinent to the study and celebration of all things Roth:
- Roth on Wesleyan: Roth’s blog on his experiences as Wes president; includes this recent, little-noticed April Fools gem.
- Michael S. Roth Wiki Page: A six five paragraphs! Detailed and dense. Note the recent Zonker Harris Day updates.
- Archived Huff Post Musings: How the hell does he have time for all this? Personal favorites include his thoughts on the Obama/Notre Dame commencement controversy and powerful response to Maine voters’ rejection of gay marriage.
- Hypothetical College Admission Essay: A poignant and moving response to the prompt: “Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence.” Well worth reading.
- Argus Interview: Roth reflects on his first two years as president.
- Roth’s College Years—Uncovered: Fascinating Argus article detailing Roth’s college years from the perspectives of those who knew him way back when . . .
- BOMB Magazine Interview: Fall 2000 issue (pre-Wes presidency); Roth discusses his scholarly interests and experiences in staggering depth.
- Ampersand coverage of Michael Roth’s birthday: From 2010 and 2011. Highlights include Roth Through the Ages (a sprawling timeline of Roth’s life and accomplishments), birthday party invitation, and “Other Shit That Happened on April Eighth.“
- Roth @ Camp, 1975: Embarrassing tagged Facebook photos. Enough said.
And also, the cutest wall post I have ever seen (name and face blacked for privacy):