If you remember last spring’s Matisyahu/Chiddy Bang campus-wide shitstorm, you’ll also remember the ensuring counter-debate regarding democratization of the Social Committee process. The gist of the argument was simple: why bemoan the Matisyahu concert for massive use of funds and lack of transparency when one student committee maintains exclusive control over Spring Fling booking? What’s the deal with that? Who gets to be on the
Social Spring Fling Committee anyway?
The reply: anyone, pretty much.
Social Spring Fling Committee remains a committee like any other, which happens to exert massive control over one of the biggest campus events of the year and funding thereof. Its application process is open to the student body, its selection process based on experience and merit.
Click past the jump for application details. Those unhappy with the Spring Fling booking process would do well to take note: here’s the opportunity to get involved.
Social Committee, or the Spring Fling Planning Committee, is looking for new membership. If you love live music and are interested in helping to choose and book the artists for Spring Fling, you should apply! More information below, copied from the all-campus email that went out this morning. The application is also included:
Spring Fling is an all-campus outdoor concert that happens on Foss Hill every May. In the past, artists like The Dirty Projectors, Big
Boi, and TV on the Radio have come to rock out Wesleyan’s student body. Social Committee works throughout the year to put together a multiple-act show that brings the most current and enjoyable bands to campus in an effort to please the entire student body.
If you would like to become a member of Social Committee in the 2011-2012 school year, please answer the questions in the attached application (either in an email or an attached word document) and send them to mpiderit(at)wesleyan(dot)edu by Friday, September 23rd. We will
review the applications and contact applicants for interviews. The committee meets once a week according to member availability.
1) What have you enjoyed about past Spring Flings? What would you change? If you have not been to a Spring Fling here, say not applicable.
2) Do you think it’s better to try to bring as many acts as possible, or would you rather spend the money on one big act?
3) What is the best concert you have ever attended? Why?
5) Are you willing to wake up at 6 AM and set up Spring Fling?
6) Social Committee is looking for members with experience booking acts and arranging events. Have you done anything like this either at Wesleyan or elsewhere?
7) Is there anything else you would like to add?
the name of the committee has been officially changed to spring fling committee
The all-campus email used both names pretty interchangeably (“If you would like to become a member of Social Committee…”), but I’ll edit the post title.