Tomorrow at 8:00 PM, we have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity here: the chance to see the New England premiere of Water is Rising, a performance of music and dance from the Pacific Atolls of Kiribati, Tokelau, and Tuvalu. In case you were wondering what the performance will entail, this official CFA blurb will clarify:
Performance and purpose collide in this powerful New England premiere that illuminates the plight of the Pacific Islands. Scientists report the vulnerable coral atolls of Kiribati, Tokelau and Tuvalu are already experiencing rising sea levels as a result of global warming and climate change. In their first-ever United States tour, 36 dancers and musicians express their deep connection to nature and their ancestral past through multi-part harmonies, poetry and gracious movement that cascade over dynamic rhythms. Water is Rising harnesses the power of performance to inspire us all to be better stewards of our shared planet. For more information, please visit www.waterisrising.com.
There will also be a pre-performance talk at 7:15 PM by Judy Mitoma, Director of the UCLA Center for Intercultural Performance and Professor of Dance in the Department of World Arts & Cultures, as well as Director of the World Festival of Sacred Music.
The performance is also quite cheap: only $6 for Wesleyan students – so don’t miss this opportunity. I know that I’ll be reeling about the thought of my paper due Friday, but will probably be there anyway.
There are also two workshops taught by the performers which will occur tonight. They are as follows:
- Free Dance Workshop: TONIGHT, Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM in the CFA Dance Studio. Learn dances from Kiribati, Tokelau, and Tuvalu.
- Free Percussion and Vocal Workshop: TONIGHT, Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM in The Daltry Room – Rehearsal Hall 003. Learn vocal music and percussion techniques from Kiribati, Tokelau, and Tuvalu. Bring your drum!
Both workshops are open to anyone. Go check them out!
Dance and Percussion/Vocal Workshops:
- Date: TODAY, Wednesday, November 9
- Time: 7:00 PM
- Place: Dance – CFA Dance Studio; Percussion/Vocal – Dalty Room (Rehearsal Hall 003)
- Cost: Free!
- Date: TOMORROW, Thursday, November 10
- Time: 8:00 PM; pre-concert talk at 7:15 PM
- Place: Crowell Concert Hall
- Cost: $6 for Wesleyan students; $18 for the general public