It’s been a busy weekend for Wesleyan (armed robberies, stressed thesis-writers, and police dogs, oh my), but we didn’t forget: it’s April 8. On behalf of Wesleying, I’m thrilled to wish a very happy birthday to everyone’s favorite university administrator and WesCeleb extraordinaire, Michael S. Roth ’78. You’re 55! You don’t look a day past 47! Go nuts![nggallery id=4]
Of course, the birthday boy has been celebrating in typical nonstop Roth fashion: by penning yet another Huffington Post column, this one focusing on the issues accepted students must contend with as they spend this month deciding where to matriculate. “Size, of course, matters,” the president wryly admits. But, just as important, “I find myself suggesting that they get a feel for the student culture of the schools in which they are interested.” The president, who has apparently taken a liken to Wesleyan’s recent USA Today fame, goes on to rave about the “vibrant music and film contexts that seem to fuel independent rock and hip-hop on the one hand, and popular film and TV on the other.”
Anyway, there are still, like, four hours left in this glorious day, so if you see President Roth jogging through Foss Hill with his canine companion Matilda while simultaneously posting on Huff Post via iPhone with one hand while shaking firm hands with some wealthy alumnus donor with the other, wish him the best! I, for one, am glad he’s our president and not Bradley Whitford ’81.
As we posted last year, here’s a helpful compilation of all things pertinent in the Roth Studies department here at Wellesleyan:
- Roth on Wesleyan: Roth’s blog on his experiences as Wes president; includes this recent, little-noticed April Fools gem.
- Michael S. Roth Wiki Page: A whopping eight paragraphs! Detailed and dense. Note the recent Zonker Harris Day updates.
- Archived Huff Post Musings: How the hell does he have time for all this? Personal favorites include his thoughts on the Obama/Notre Dame commencement controversy and powerful response to Maine voters’ rejection of gay marriage.
- Hypothetical College Admission Essay: A poignant and moving response to the prompt: “Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence.” Well worth reading.
- Argus Interview: Roth reflects on his first two years as president.
- Roth’s College Years—Uncovered: Fascinating Argus article detailing Roth’s college years from the perspectives of those who knew him way back when . . .
- BOMB Magazine Interview: Fall 2000 issue (pre-Wes presidency); Roth discusses his scholarly interests and experiences in staggering depth.
- Ampersand coverage of Michael Roth’s birthday: From 2010 and 2011. Highlights include Roth Through the Ages (a sprawling timeline of Roth’s life and accomplishments), birthday party invitation, and “Other Shit That Happened on April Eighth.”