At 11:15 PM on Friday, May 11, several hundred Wesleyan students all pushed play on the same playlist while congregating on the Denison Terrace – the steps behind Olin. The playlist lasted for 1:50:38 and, much to everyone’s surprise, the large mob did not disperse into smaller groups of rogue agents raging around campus. Instead, the mob remained a massive but entirely mobile group and moved all around campus.
But before we say anything else about this, SEND US YOUR PICTURES FROM WESRAVE! No post about this event would be complete without copious photographic evidence, and I know that people were taking pictures because I saw those flashes going off all night. Send whatever you have to staff[at]wesleying[dot]org and I’ll root through it and recreate the evening with photos.
Where did WesRave go? Check past the jump for a full listing.
- WesRave began by Denison Terrace behind Olin at 11:15 PM.
- Then everyone rushed out onto Andrus Field.
- After a while, people started to jump the fence surrounding the field to dance outside Usdan.
- Passing between Usdan and Beckham, WesRave went to the lacrosse field at the CFA.
- Moved to the CFA Green in the middle of all the buildings.
- Passed the Art Library and then went around the Music Studios to cross Wyllys.
- Raved down College Row (which included dancing by 41 Wyllys and on the steps of North College.)
- Back behind Olin.
- Someone shouted “Westco!” and everyone went over to Westco, funneling through the connector hallway leading to Weshop.
- WesRave continues down Pine Street until reaching Lawn Avenue.
- At Lawn, the group turns into the backyards between Pine and Fountain.
- Continued onward to the track at Freeman – jumping over another fence. Rave continues on the field for quite some time. PSafe parks a car with lights on, which makes it much easier to see on the field.
- WesRave leaves the field and ends up on Cross Street.
- Takes a left on Cross, heading down toward Long Lane.
- When almost at Long Lane, PSafe – and eventually an MPD car as well – essentially tell someone to turn back, so the group reverses and goes back toward campus.
- MPD and PSafe block off the road near Neon Deli by parking two cars. WesRave instead heads down Knowles.
- MPD and PSafe block Vine and WesRave turns back down Vine to head toward Fauver.
- Going around Fauver and back through WestCo, WesRave ends up back on Foss.
- WesRave ends up going for the last 40 minutes or so on Foss, Andrus, and behind Olin, ending behind Olin with MGMT’s “Kids” and an impromptu singing of the fight song.
All in all, a pretty awesome evening. Kind of like Tour de Franzia, only without the destruction and binge drinking. Hopefully this’ll be a campus tradition now?
At any rate, thanks due to PSafe and MPD for getting us off the road slash preventing us from heading to Wash. Probably a wise decision – can’t imagine that would have ended well given the irritated response we got from the 4 or so cars that interacted with us.
This post will be updated more with a gallery once we get some pictures/video. So send us your stuff! We’d love to post it.