Last week marked a day on which all would remember where they were when they first heard the news. The current Wesleying poll, “Which option below aligns most closely with your thoughts on the administrative plan to scale back need-blind admissions?,” has finally broken the record, set back in the first week of 2011, for the most votes on a Wesleying poll in history. (Of course, it’s also been up for a while now—but not as long as some other polls.)
And so we put before you, our faithful readers, a history as telling as it is dramatic—that is, a history of Wesleying’s polls.
Wesleying’s poll has been a staple on the blog since its glorious debut in September of 2010, when it forced students to dig deep within to answer the question: “Are You Wesleyan?” Remarkably, only 144 respondents answered “Yes.”
But what have been the most voted-on polls in Wesleying history? Here’s the top five, in order, with some of my own thoughts:
1. 875 votes and counting: “Which option below aligns most closely with your thoughts on the administrative plan to scale back need-blind admissions?” (Well, of course this is first, it’s all anyone
talks about talked about last week.)
Winner: “I don’t like it, but I think it’s necessary, considering the University’s financial situation.” (346 votes, 39%)
2. 661 votes: Best film of 2010? (I didn’t realize 2010 was such a big year for films. Stuttering Colin Firth and self-amputation from James Franco? I’m there!)
Winner: “Black Swan.” (119 votes, 19%) (You mean Cameron Diaz’s The Bounty Hunter didn’t make it?)
3. 606 votes: “The WSA election opens at midnight. Who are you voting for?“
Winner: “Giant Joint.” (176 votes, 29%.) (Of course, this is before Giant Joint voted to eliminate need-blind. Polling numbers have taken quite a hit since then.)
4. 599 votes: “Tour de FRANZIA??”
Winner: :Yes! I won the whole thing.” (249 votes, 42%)
5. 589 votes: “Which Spring Fling act are you most excited for?”
Winner: Chairlift (147 votes, 25%).
With that, we get to the author’s picks:
5. Which 2012 Grammy nominee/winner do you wish will play at Spring Fling?
(Simply because I detest Bruno Mars, and the last place finisher? Bruno Mars at 4%, who finished 2% behind Giant Joint.)
4. Which of these Wes-work environments would make a great NBC sitcom in the style of “The Office”?
(P-Safe with the runaway victory at 42%. But the real question: who holds the video cameras if P-Safe is on screen?)
3. A rogue planet is literally going to crash into Earth in like 20 minutes (re: “Melancholia”). What do you do?
(I just wanted to bring this back because only 13% voted for “asking Bill Nye.” Really? You’re not going to ask beardless Walter White?)
2. Which option below aligns most closely with your thoughts on the administrative plan to scale back need-blind admissions?
(C’mon. Even the second place option has more votes than the total number cast in 22 of our past polls.)
And of course….
1. Favorite campus publication this semester?
(Top pick: “Reading’s for suckers, get crunk” at 26%. This has to be number one because it is one of sixteen times that the ability to attain some level of crunk is referenced on Wesleying.)