From Benjamin Soloway ’13:
The 48 Hour Magazine submission period begins NOW. The theme of this issue is INSIDE OUT. We are looking for ANY form of writing, visual content, or film—especially materials created today. If you already have material that fits, send it in as well!
Submissions are due by midnight tonight to 48hourmag(at)gmail(dot)com. All submissions must include your name, class year, the title of the work, and preferably your phone number.
Here are some prompts to get you thinking:
- Tell us about a time when your world turned inside out.
- What did you dream last night (or any night)?
- Infiltrate something.
- Ask someone you’ve never talked to before about the house they grew up in.
- Go inside somewhere and tell us about it.
- The insides of things—bodies, computers, dictatorships, etc.—tend to be hidden from sight most of the time. Describe a situation in which this was not the case.
- What things would work well inside-out? What things would be less effective?
- The inside of your head is a complete mystery to everyone except yourself, unless you choose to share it. What’s been on your mind lately? (Ask the same of your friends, parents, strangers, etc.)
- Open a book, door, or container and describe what’s inside.
- Describe a time that you found yourself on the wrong side of a boundary.
- Reveal to us the fruits of your dirty, dirty mind.
- Solve a mystery.
- The inside of _____ looks like _____.
- Your gut is home to an entire biosphere of organisms. Write about being part of this bacterial community.
A rough schedule for the weekend is below. If you are interested in contributing to any phase of the project, show up around the time listed (or later—we’re not turning anybody away!)
12PM: Theme is announced, submissions begin to arrive.
12PM-8PM: Submissions are collected at Usdan table.
12AM: Submissions close. Team convenes in Shapiro Writing Center to review submissions and select content.
9AM: Editing and print design teams meet to begin editing pieces, designing print templates, etc. Illustrators begin illustrating. We eat breakfast.
12PM: Delicious food for everybody.
3PM: Layout begins.
8PM: Copy editing begins. Web team convenes to begin putting content online.
8AM: Layout finalized, last minute editing and corrections.
10AM: Video submissions due.
12PM: MAGAZINE FINISHED and sent off to the printer.
Date/Time: February 1st at 12PM – February 3rd at 12PM
Place: Shapiro Writing Center, 167 High St. (corner of Church)