This morning, we all received a Public Safety Alert informing us about a physical and sexual assault that occurred this morning at Beta Fraternity House on High Street. The survivor was able to escape during the assault, reported the assault to Public Safety, and was transported to Middlesex Hospital for minor injuries.
In light of this awful and tragic information, I would like to remind everyone that sexual assault here at Wesleyan remains a problem as terrible as any this campus has ever faced, and that sexual assault is never, ever okay.
Womanist House will be providing a safe space for support this afternoon.
Additionally, Rachel Verner ’15 writes in about a gathering later in the evening and always-available resources for survivors and the community:
SART Intern, Rachel Verner, and Students for Consent and Communication would like to invite everyone to an open community meeting tonight. Our goal is to create a safe space to talk about sexual violence prevention, and what we can all do to rid rape culture at Wesleyan. We will be meeting in the University Organizing Centre (190 High Street) this evening (Sunday, March 7th) at 9pm. Please see below for a list of other available resources:
SART Members – Confidential Reporters
- Larry Antosz, Counseling Center, 860-685-2910
- David Leipziger Teva, Chaplain, 860-685-2278
- Sandy Frimel, Health Services, 860-685-2470
- Emily Daponte, Health Services, 860-685-2470
- Jennifer D’Andrea, Counseling Center, 860-685-2910
- Alysha B. Warren, Counseling Center, 860-685.2910
SART Members – Mandatory Reporters
- All class deans:
- Louise Brown – 2013, 860-685-2758
- Marina Melendez – 2014, 860-685-2764
- Noel Garrett – 2015, 860-685-2774
- David Phillips – 2016, 860-685-2765
- Shona Kerr, Physical Education, 860-685-2444
- Liliana Carrasquilo, Residential Life, 860-685-2204
- Laura Borhman, Center for the Americas, 860-685-3112
- Jim Kubat, Career Resource Center, 860-685-3374
- Cheryl-Ann Hagner, Graduate Student Services, 860-685-2223
- Stacy Baldwin, Physical Plant, 860-685-3212
- Steve Windsor, Information Technology, 860-685-3985
- Tanya Purdy, WesWell, 860-685-2466
- Joyce Walter, Health Services, 860-685-2656
- Elisa Cardona, SALD, 860-685-2143
- Maureen Isleib, Residential Life, 860-685-3166
- Rachel Verner, SART Intern, 860-685-4673 (HOPE)
Additional resources include the following:
The staff at Counseling and Psychological Services(CAPS) and Office of Religious and Spiritual Life(ORSL) are available to provide support to anyone who is struggling and in need of assistance. Please do not hesitate to reach out and make use of the following resources.
(As always in an emergency students may contact 860-685-2910)
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
The Grief Support Group: an ongoing, student-led group open to any Wesleyan student who is coping with the death of a friend or relative; Dr. Larry Antosz is the clinical resource for the group. Currently the group meets on Wednesdays at 8:30pm in the Solarium, Room 210 on the second floor of the Davison Health Center. For more information contact the group co-facilitators, Hannah Vogel (hvogel[at]wesleyan[dot]edu, 240-463-6929) and Leah Koenig (lkoenig[at]wesleyan[dot]edu, 443-739-7372). If some students are not available for the group meeting time, please contact Dr. Antosz (lantosz[at]wesleyan[dot]edu, 860-685-3136) with a list of times and days that would be more convenient and he will then try to set up an additional meeting time.
Individual appointments: call (860) 685-2910 to schedule an appointment with one of the CAPS therapists.
On-call support: call CAPS after-hours and weekends at (860) 685-2910.
Call or chat 8-to-8, your friendly confidential & anonymous student listening service. We’re here to listen to all calls and chats – big or small. Reach us at 860 685-7789 every night from 7PM to 7AM, or chat us online from 7PM to 2AM.
Sexual Assault Survivors’ Support Group
Breaking the Silence
Break the Silence: A new sexual assault support group for male identified survivors will be held on Wednesdays beginning April 3rd – May 2nd from 5:30-6:45pm. The group is open to survivors of childhood sexual abuse, sexual assault and rape. Meetings will follow an open support group format and participants determine group topics each week.
Contact Alysha B. Warren, LPC, Therapist/Sexual Violence Resource Coordinator, for more information at awarren[at]wesleyan[dot]edu. Reference “Support Group” in the subject line. The deadline to sign-up is Tuesday, April 2nd at 12pm.