At some point in your career at Wesleyan, The Argus just won’t come out soon enough or – heaven forbid – Wesleying won’t update quick enough for you to get some vital update or piece of news. This here is an age of new journalism, haven’t you heard? Social media is the new town crier. Luckily for all of us, the fine people in charge of and around Wesleyan University are on top of this social media wagon, and sometimes, Facebook pages and Twitter feeds are your best shot for up-to-the-minute information. But even beyond the immediate, some of these pages and feeds, run by the departments or by student groups or even by anonymous individuals, can be interesting, thought-provoking, hilarious, and full of discussions, tips, commentary, and quips that will enrich your experience here. Or at the very least, give you a cheap laugh.
I’ve assembled a list of the essential (and currently active) ones, as well as some of Wesleying’s personal favorites, but this is by no means a complete list. Because there is no other list of pages around (except for the un-updated, official school-approved one), I may have missed a few. We can always add more. There are also individual Twitter feeds you’ll find are useful to follow, but you’re on your own for discovering those. Nobody uses Pinterest, so don’t bother looking.
Primary News Sources (for everything important that goes on campus)
- Extremely active social media maintained by yours truly and some other Wesleying staffers. We retweet a lot of stuff, sometimes humorously, sometimes seriously.
- Facebook – @wesleying
- Maintained by the fine folks at the Office of University Communications, extremely active.
- Facebook – @wesleyan_u – Tumblr – Flickr – Youtube
The Wesleyan Argus
- Wesleyan University’s bi-weekly, student-run newspaper. Only really updates social media or its website when the paper comes out on Tuesday and Friday.
- Facebook – @wesleyanargus
Secondary Sources (for more specific inquiries)
- Organizing, booking, and writing the Wesleyan music scene. Their website has some pretty great feature articles, and check their social media feeds for concert updates.
- Facebook – @AuralWes
Broad Street Books
- Your source for books and textbooks and everything book related that’s not at the libraries.
- Internship and job postings, career advice, events, meet and greets, and lots of exclamation marks.
- Facebook – @WesCareerCenter
Center for the Arts
- Shows, blogs, events, and everything creative and Wesleyan-sponsored. Covers art/art history, music, theater, and dance.
- Facebook – @WesCFA – Youtube
Center for Humanities
- One of the oldest humanities institutes in the US, and your source for Humanities events (which cover about a third of the departments here).
- Facebook – @WesHumanities
Center for Prison Education
- Wesleyan’s acclaimed program providing liberal arts education to prisoners in two Connecticut correctional facilities. Their social media posts a lot about prison reform and social justice.
- Facebook – @WesCPE
Department of Astronomy
- Stars, man, what are those about?
Department of Athletics
Department of Classical Studies
- When in Greece and Rome, learn as the Grecians and Romans did.
- Environmental Organizer’s Network, a coalition of student groups dedicated to solving environmental issues.
- Facebook – @WesEON
- The best f*cking film series you’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing. Not just for shut-ins and Film Majors.
- Facebook – @FilmSeries
Graduate Liberal Arts Studies
- For when you’ve finished your four years here and want more.
Green Street Arts Center
- A Wesleyan-run community center providing arts education, outreach, events, and a recording studio.
- Facebook – @WesGreenStreet
History & Theory
- Wesleyan’s quarterly academic journal focusing on the theory and philosophy of history, with executive editor Ethan Kleinberg, Prof. of History and Letters.
- Facebook – @ekleinberg
Information Technology Services
- Learn to love them. These guys and gals operate all the tech of Wesleyan, fix computers, solve viruses, and will let you know about any campus-wide technological difficulties.
- Facebook – @wes_itsinfo
- Art Library, Olin, and SciLi are all united under the Library feeds. They post quotes of the day as well as book-related events and information.
- Facebook – @WesLibNews
Long Lane Organic Farm
- Wesleyan’s student-run organic farm, producing food to sell to farmer’s markets or the dining hall, or donated to charities.
- Facebook – Blogspot
- Wesleyan’s student lifestyle magazine, posting sporadically.
- Facebook – @methodmagtweets
New Media Lab
- Run by ITS, a tech support team for websites, video production, and other technologies more complicated than Twitter.
Office of Community Service
- Be civically engaged! Opportunities for getting involved are hereabouts.
- Facebook – @Wes_engage – Tumblr
Office of Residential Life
- Your guide to moving in, getting settled, and feeling safe and comfortable at Wesleyan.
- Facebook – @WesResLife
Relay for Life
- The Wesleyan chapter of the spring overnight event raising money for the American Cancer Society.
- Student-run art and sexuality magazine.
Usdan University Center
- The focal point of activity and central programming space for the University. Unaffiliated with the superior @UsdanCooks.
- An online-only music publication focusing on Wesleyan’s vibrant and eclectic music scene.
- Facebook – @WAVES_Magazine – WordPress
- An online community for Wesleyan alumni. Also maintains an online blog.
- Facebook – @wesconnected
- Calling on Wesleyan University to clear its investments in fossil fuel companies.
Wesleyan Media Project
- A project tracking all campaign ads run by federal and state election candidates across the country.
- Game-day sports content, brought to you by IMS.
- Facebook – @WesPregame
- Slam poetry team and club hosting competitions and writing workshops.
- A student-run food blog. Extensive and constantly updating about finding eats around Middletown and for your own dorm.
- Facebook – @WesStuffed – WordPress
Wesleyan University Press
- All about the University’s publishing program, focusing on poetry, music, dance, science fiction studies, film-TV, and Connecticut history and culture.
- Facebook – @weslpress
- Wesleyan’s non-commercial community radio station. You can also see playlists and a blog on their website.
- Facebook – @WESUmiddletown
- AKA the Office of Health Education, not only a place for free condoms and safe sex supplies, but also the home of the Peer Health Advocates office. Healthy minds, healthy bodies!
- Facebook – @weswell_pha
- Owners of the Red & Black Café and WesWings post announcements, specials, promote their workers and alumni, and make nice with other Twitter pages. Highly recommended.
WILD (Working for Intelligent Landscape Design) Wes
- Student group redesigning the landscape of our fair campus, from WestCo to the Butts, documenting with lots of pictures.
- @WILD_Wesleyan – WordPress
- Wesleyan Student Assembly, undergraduate government, voice piece for The Man. But usually working hard to make this school better.
- Facebook – @WSAnews
Cardinals Sports Pages
Basketball (Men’s)— @WesleyanHoops
Lacrosse (Men’s)— @Wes_Lacrosse
Lacrosse (Women’s)— @WesLacrosse
Track & Field— @WesleyanTrack
Light Reading (for everything else)
- The original Wesleyan humor publication. Found on the back of the Argus and in the deep recesses of the Internet.
- Facebook – @WesAmpersand – Tumblr
- President Roth’s dog. You’ll see her if you take his Modern and Postmodern class. Still not sure who her publicist is.
Overheard At Wes
- The funniest things somebody else said on campus. Send in your submissions via email or tweet.
Sh*t Wes Fresh Say
- Difficult to describe… it’s funny, just follow it.
The Real Michael Roth
- Not actually the real Michael Roth. Or is he? #thisiswhy
- Nobody knows who runs the infamous Twitter account representing the wonderful workers over at Usdan, but they’re always happy to tweet back.
- Just started this past year. Email in your compliment or send a personal message, and make somebody’s day.
- “wesleyan hipsters. so dope”
- Even more difficult to describe.
- See: Overheard At Wes.
Other Relevant Accounts Worth Following
In The ‘Cac
- Online-only news coverage of Middletown, CT, run by editor Cassandra Day. Website over hereaways.
- Facebook – @MiddletnCTPatch
- A daily newspaper covering Middlesex County, CT. Find their website here.
- We’re all in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. Read up on your competition here.
NoRA Cupcake Company
- Cupcake truck. Find it on late nights and taste heaven. Check for their weekly flavors and new inventions.
- A husband and wife-run mobile food (read: grilled cheese) truck that will become your best friend on late nights. Come here to find out hours and specials.
Happy social media-ing, and don’t forget to use #thisiswhy ironically!
@mathildog no longer exists! :(
wut is social media if u dnt hav frends
Pingback: Wesleying Unofficial Orientation Series 2013 | Wesleying
#whyisthis what i’m reading at work right now #postgradproblems