From Samantha Sikder ’14:
Espwesso is hiring again!
Unfortunately, the senior members of our staff will soon be blooming and taking flight. We are still trying to convince them to take up residence in the Espwesso storage closet, barista-ing by night…
As of now, it looks like we are in need of some fresh, young, coffee-loving faces! Espwesso is seeking applicants who are passionate about coffee and excited to learn and master premium barista techniques. Apply to become a part of our sustainable mission to provide quality coffee to the community!
**Note: Espwesso will be closed this week, starting tomorrow, Jan 20. It will open again on Sunday night, Jan 26.**
We are Wesleyan’s student-run, late-night cafe, serving premium espresso & tea drinks. DRIP COFFEE IS ALWAYS FREE with your own mug!
9pm – 1am, Sunday-Thursday (basement of Allbritton)
Questions? Email jmasand[at]wesleyan[dot]edu or ssikder[at]wesleyan[dot]edu
ONLY WORK-STUDY STUDENTS ARE ELIGIBLE, Class of 2016 or 2017 preferred at this time.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 5, 2014
This is a training position that prepares you to work as a barista at Espwesso the following semester.
Baristas at Espwesso are responsible for making drinks, taking suggested per-drink donations, and cleaning and maintaining the cafe space. As a barback, you will work one to two 9pm-11pm shifts a week. You will be working during our busy periods, at the same time as a barista, and will be responsible for working the register station, brewing drip coffee and anything else the barista needs so that they can make drinks as fast as possible.
You will receive 3-5hrs of mandatory paid training from the cafe manager over the course of this semester. Satisfactory completion of a semester’s work as a barback will make you eligible to become a barista, which will involve a raise and the requirement of working at least one 5 hour shift a week.
Starting wage is $8.50/hr.
We seek students who are willing to commit sustained time and energy to this cafe. If interested, please email Jasmine Masand ‘15 (jmasand[at]wesleyan[dot]edu) a resume and short answers to the following questions:
1. What days Sunday-Thursday are you available to work 9:00pm-11:00pm?
2. Describe your relationship with coffee. Why do you want to work at the cafe?
3. What other activities and organizations do you take part in during the school year?
4. Given free reign, what are some albums you’d listen to during your shift?
5. Tell us about something interesting or weird you’ve heard/read about this past week.
6. Use an experience to illustrate your ability to work in customer service and group environment. What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?
7. What skills or qualities will allow you to react & succeed if unforeseen problems arise?