At some point in your career at Wesleyan, The Argus just won’t come out soon enough or—heaven forbid—Wesleying won’t update quick enough for you to get some vital update or piece of news. Luckily for all of us, the fine people in charge of and around Wesleyan University are on top of this social media wagon, and sometimes, Facebook pages and Twitter feeds are your best shot for up-to-the-minute information. But even beyond the immediate, some of these pages and feeds, run by the departments or by student groups or even by anonymous individuals, can be interesting, thought-provoking, hilarious, and full of discussions, tips, commentary, and quips that will enrich your experience here. Or at the very least, give you a cheap laugh.
Here’s an updated collection of the essential (and currently active) social media accounts, as well as some of Wesleying’s personal favorites. This list isn’t complete, and new accounts are being created every year. Like, does Summies really need a parody Twitter? Chime in once again for things you think were passed over, because the official school-approved list (which doesn’t even include Wesleying) just won’t suffice. There are also individual Twitter feeds (both student and alumni) you’ll find useful to follow, but you’re on your own for discovering those. Nobody uses Pinterest, so don’t bother looking.
Primary News Sources (for everything important that goes on campus)
- Extremely active social media maintained by various Wesleying staffers. We retweet a lot of stuff, sometimes humorously, sometimes seriously.
- Maintained by the fine folks at the Office of University Communications, extremely active.
- In addition to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: Tumblr – Flickr – Youtube – LinkedIn
The Wesleyan Argus
- Wesleyan University’s bi-weekly, student-run newspaper. Only really updates social media or its website when the paper comes out on Tuesday and Friday
Secondary Sources (for more specific inquiries)
- WesConnect is an online community for Wesleyan alumni. Also maintains an online blog. Alumni are just like you and me, but graduated. There are a bunch of ways for you to get in touch with them!
- WesConnect Facebook – @wesconnected – Twitter alumni list – LinkedIn alumni group
- Organizing, booking, and writing the Wesleyan music scene. Their website has some pretty great feature articles, and check their social media feeds for concert updates
- The people who run our dining halls, if you didn’t know! It’s about as exciting as a Twitter run by a management company—which it is.
- Internship and job postings, career advice, events, meet and greets, and lots of exclamation marks.
Center for the Arts
- Shows, blogs, events, and everything creative and Wesleyan-sponsored. Covers art/art history, music, theater, and dance.
- They have a YouTube too
Center for the Humanities (or CHUM, as we call it)
- One of the oldest humanities institutes in the US, and your source for Humanities events (which cover about a third of the departments here).
Center for Prison Education
- Wesleyan’s acclaimed program providing liberal arts education to prisoners in three Connecticut correctional facilities. Their social media posts a lot about prison reform and social justice.
- P.S. We FUCKING LOVE the CPE
- Wesleyan Democrats student group, being all liberal-like.
- Wesleyan Democratic Socialists student group, being all leftist-like.
Department of Astronomy
- Space is cool so do it.
Department of Athletics
- Scores, games, news, and other posts from our various NESCAC sports.
Department of Classical Studies
- When in Greece and Rome, learn as the Grecians and Romans did.
The Wesleyan Fucking Film Series
- The best f*cking film series you’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing. Not just for shut-ins and Film Majors.
Graduate Liberal Arts Studies
- For when you’ve finished your four years here and want more.
Green Street Traching and Learning Center
- A Wesleyan-run community center providing arts education, outreach, events, and a recording studio.
The Wesleyan Hermes
- Magazine of political, critical and creative thought. Wesleyan’s oldest progressive publication. They just launched a website too.
History & Theory
- Wesleyan’s quarterly academic journal focusing on the theory and philosophy of history, with executive editor Ethan Kleinberg, Prof. of History and Letters.
Information Technology Services
- Learn to love them. These guys and gals operate all the tech of Wesleyan, fix computers, solve viruses, and will let you know about any campus-wide technological difficulties.
Institute for Curational Practice in Performance
- Not just a newcomer to Twitter, but to Wesleyan: “The first institute of its kind, a center for the academic study of the presentation and contextualization of contemporary performance.”
- Art Library, Olin, and SciLi are all united under the Library feeds. They post quotes of the day as well as book-related events and information.
Long Lane Organic Farm
- Wesleyan’s student-run organic farm, producing food to sell to farmer’s markets or the dining hall, or donated to charities.
- They have a Blogspot
- Wesleyan’s student lifestyle magazine, posting sporadically. They have a YouTube. Also omg they took this joke well.
Jewett Center for Community Partnerships and Patricelli Center for Social Entrepreneurship
- Be civically engaged! Opportunities for getting involved are hereabouts.
- Okay, all I’m gonna say is that the people who work in these departments are some of the best people at Wesleyan (and I’m talking about you, Makaela Kingsley ’98)
Office of Admission
- Okay, I get it. You already did that. But idk I mean maybe you wanna keep tabs on the image the university is tryna project
Office of Equity and Inclusion
- Didn’t even know this existed until they got a Twitter the other day! Say hello!
Office of Residential Life
- Your guide to moving in, getting settled, and feeling safe and comfortable at Wesleyan.
Office of Sustainability
- Promoting sustainable practices and living across campus, and focused on reducing Wesleyan’s carbon footprint.
- Holy shit holy shit Roth-dog himself! Pretty sure he does his tweeting himself (but maybe also his chief of staff?), cause there’s a lot of stuff about his book and he links his articles on HuffPo a lot.
- He has a Blog
Relay for Life
- The Wesleyan chapter of the spring overnight event raising money for the American Cancer Society.
- Shining Hope For Communities, an amazing charity founded by Kennedy Odede ’12 with its own Wesleyan chapter.
Summer & Winter Sessions at Wesleyan
- These just popped up, so I think they’ll be tweeting about Wesleyan’s under-utilized Summer Session and new Winter Session
- Student-run art and sexuality magazine.
Usdan University Center
- The focal point of activity and central programming space for the University. Unaffiliated with the superior @UsdanCooks.
- Calling on Wesleyan University to clear its investments in fossil fuel companies.
- Host of a now-yearly two-day tech conference and hackathon
Wesleyan Media Project
- A project tracking all campaign ads run by federal and state election candidates across the country.
- Your source for books and textbooks and everything book related that’s not at the libraries.
- Slam poetry team and club hosting competitions and writing workshops.
- A student-run food blog. Extensive and constantly updating about finding eats around Middletown and for your own dorm. They have a website.
Wesleyan University Press
- All about the University’s publishing program, focusing on poetry, music, dance, science fiction studies, film-TV, and Connecticut history and culture. Also a major reason why we had the largest endowment-per-student in the country in the 50s.
- Wesleyan’s non-commercial community radio station. You can also see playlists and a blog on their website.
- AKA the Office of Health Education, not only a place for free condoms and safe sex supplies, but also the home of the Peer Health Advocates office. Healthy minds, healthy bodies!
- Owners and employees of WesWings post announcements, specials, promote their workers and alumni, and make nice with other Twitter pages. Highly recommended.
WILD (Working for Intelligent Landscape Design) Wes
- Student group redesigning the landscape of our fair campus, from WestCo to the Butts, documenting with lots of pictures. They have a WordPress.
- Wesleyan Student Assembly, undergraduate government, voice piece for The Man. But usually working hard to make this school better. Their website is pretty and has LOTS of resources.
[Okay, this is where I got hella tired and stopped adding the cute linked thumbnails k? – wilk]
Cardinals Sports Pages
Basketball (Men’s)— @WesleyanHoops
Ice Hockey (Women’s)— @WIH_Wesleyan
Lacrosse (Men’s)— @Wes_Lacrosse
Lacrosse (Women’s)— @WesLacrosse
Soccer (Women’s)— @WesWomensSoccer
Track & Field— @WesleyanTrack
Light Reading (for everything else)
- Tried to “fit in” with the Wes Twitterati. Now kind of posts social justice things.
- The original Wesleyan humor publication. Found on the back of the Argus and in the deep recesses of the Internet.
- Facebook – @WesAmpersand – Tumblr
- Perennial WSA candidate, advocate of legalization, 4/20 enthusiast
Overheard At Wes
- The funniest things somebody else said on campus. Send in your submissions via email or tweet.
- Hard to explain.
The Real Michael Roth
- Not actually the real Michael Roth. Or is he? #thisiswhy
- “The norm is a little skewed here, and everyone is cool with it.”
- “wesleyan hipsters. so dope”
- Even more difficult to describe.
- See: Overheard At Wes.
- Put together by the residents of 156 High. Usually indiscernable nonsense to people who don’t live there.
Other Relevant Accounts Worth Following
In The ‘Cac
- A daily newspaper covering Middlesex County, CT, run by editor Cassandra Day (formerly of the Patch). Find their website here.
Middletown Police Department
- Breaking news updates, arraignment reports, and the occasional #tbt from your friendly local police department.
- We’re all in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. Read up on your competition here.
NoRA Cupcake Company
- Cupcake truck. Find it on late nights and taste heaven. Check for their weekly flavors and new inventions, and delicious photos.
- Facebook – @NoRACupcakeCo – Instagram
- Imitation is the highest form of flattery, but when will they actually post anything?
- @postwesleying – Website
- A husband and wife-run mobile food (read: artisinal grilled cheese) truck that will become your best friend on late nights. Come here to find out hours and specials.
- Facebook – @wheystation
BONUS: Things You Think Are Wesleyan But Aren’t Actually Our Wesleyan
- “offering specialist financial advice to doctors, dentists, teachers, and lawyers. Please don’t tweet personal details.” Challenge accepted.
- “Transforming lives, churches, and communities through the hope and holiness of Jesus Christ.” They’re a lot of what you see on #Wesleyan
- College, not University. One is an all-girl’s school in Macon, Georgia; the other is us.
- Again, all-girl’s, in Massachusetts, not us.
- @Wesleyan_university (doesn’t exist)
- @wesleyanuniv (not the real one)
- And John Wesley’s copycats: @IndWes, @Il_Wesleyan, @KyWesleyan, @OhioWesleyan,@WVWesleyan, @TexasWesleyan, @NEWesleyan, and I’m sure many, many others.