Last week the world celebrated the 10th year of MGMT’s Oracular Spectacular. (Almost) straight out of Wes graduation, Andrew VanWyngarden ’05 and Ben Goldwasser ’05 hooked us Kids—you know The Youth—up with Pieces of What we needed for a real, nice Electric Feel.
*insert eye roll here*
As a freshman living in “The Triple” (whattup WestCo 2) aka the room where MGMT was tenderly conceived, I decided to look back through some Wesleying archives and see what Wes was like in 2007 when Oracular Spectacular hit the scene. I discovered that while I was merely a wholesome 8 year old, the Princeton Review ranked Wes #15 in the category of “Students [Who] Ignore God on a Regular Basis” as well as #13 for Birkenstock-Wearing, Tree-Hugging, Clove-Smoking Vegetarians.” Nice.
Other 2007 events of note include, but are not limited to:
- The announcement of the iPhone by Steve Jobs.
- Rihanna blessed us with Umbrella-ella-ella.
- Bush was still president.
- Shrek the Third premiered.
- People still liked Tiger Woods…?
- The Twilight saga was relevant.
- Apparently George Clooney was injured in a motorcycle accident in Weehawken, New Jersey.
- This really pure post from 2007 Wesleying was published. (BTW I’m with you Ishuku. Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate Edition is the pits.)
- The Kardashians™ established their reign.
- Argentina elected its first female president, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner. (Only 10 years before the USA finally el-…. Wait nvm) (…Too soon?) (Yes.)
So yeah. All of that happened in 2007. Any future predictions for 2027? Any Future Reflections?
Thank you Wes alums for doing cool things like making awesome music. Keep it up friends.