I would really love to know who’s behind the name “Wes Annoucement” that sent out an all-campus email this afternoon. In this message, they critique several problems with Wesleyan by mimicking the format of those lovely “you’re going to have to trek through the snow unless we text you at 6:45 AM” emails. I think a lot of the points are right on, but I’ve got to address my concerns with the last paragraph of the email. If you have any (non-sexist, non-racist, non-classist) thoughts on the content of the message, go ahead and sound off in the comments.
If your thoughts on receiving this email are “feminists suck,” then, well, bye Felicia.
Snow? In Connecticut? It can’t be true.
BUT IT IS! IT’S EVERYWHERE!!
Join us in our quest to complete the most epic of epic snow adventures
10 PM, Wednesday night, Outhouse – 132 High St.
Claire Kaplan ’09 wants you to help freshmen see Wesleyan up-close and personal. The first meeting of her student-run alternative tour group is tomorrow at 3:00 PM, in Usdan 104 (right outside the WSA).
Date: Friday, Dec. 14
Time: 3:00 PM
Location: Usdan 104
Claire also offers a few points of clarification:
- “No, I don’t think I’m rebelling against the fuckin’ man, man. I don’t think admissions is evil or that their tours are deliberately censored to make students want to come here under misconceptions.”
- “An official tour must do two things: it must be inoffensive to the point where any potential freshman and his mother will want to take it, and it must strive to be objective. The fact that a student-run tour is not obligated to do either of these things is one of the biggest reasons I’m interested in starting one.”
- “Nope, I don’t want to tell prefrosh what to think. I want to hear what they’re thinking, and if it sounds to me like there’s another question they should be asking to get to that information in a better way, I’ll tell them.”
Claire adds, most importantly, that:
- “No, I don’t think people should do an alt tour *instead of* going on an admissions tour. I think they accomplish two different things, which is why I’m not currently memorizing all that important stuff like the size of our science endowment and how many freshman can expect to get singles etc (well, that plus all my finals). Again: it’s a supplement, not a replacement.”
- “All of this is still in its nascent stage. If you think it’s stupid, well, maybe it’ll become less stupid. Maybe you can come to the meeting and make it less stupid yourself! Eh?”