The title of this post is not meant rhetorically. It’s a serious question: who killed Spring Fling’s vibe?
Was it the student attendees, some inebriated and inconsiderate, who jumped over the barrier when the floor of the rink was at capacity and allegedly behaved drunkenly and belligerently when asked to back up? (“Some students ought to be ashamed of themselves,” observed a witness who asked to remain anonymous.) Was it the massive security detail (Public Safety and CSC) who guarded every nook and cranny with the graveness of airport TSA agents and reportedly physically abused one student and verbally harassed another? Was it the organizers (Spring Fling Committee or otherwise) who neglected to inform students in advance that they would be turned away if they arrived late, even while other students were visibly exiting, and flipped on the lights shortly before Ab-Soul’s set, possibly to punish students for failing to obey orders that were largely unintelligible over the ice rink’s cavernous din? Or was it the fucking weather, or maybe Spurrier-Snyder Rink itself, which has never seemed like a less suitable venue for a free, unticketed performance by one of the fastest rising rappers in the world in 2013? At least it wasn’t Kendrick Lamar, who, despite subpar conditions and acoustics better suited to a high school gym, performed “Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe,” “Money Trees,” and other highlights from Good Kid, M.A.A.D City with admirable energy and charisma, wooing throngs of adoring fans who knew precisely how to yell out “Drank!” or “Ya bish!” on cue and reportedly popping over to Warren after the show, decked out in a Wes sweatshirt.
Just kidding, there’s no alcohol allowed at Spring Fling again. Sorry.
The bad news, as you know by now if you’ve glanced at your inbox in the last few hours, is that Spring Fling has officially been rained out and moved to the ice rink for the second year in a row. According to my forecast, there’s a 65% chance of thunderstorms tomorrow, but even if that 35% chance proves true, Andrus is already a Woodstock-like puddle of mud from today’s downfall. Meanwhile, it’s been nothing but 75 and sunny for the last week until today, because of course it has.
The good news is that
the rain might actually wash away my fucking pollen allergies for good if Spring Fling gets rained out next year there will hardly be any students who even remember that it was once a thing on Foss in the first place. The other good news is that Spring Fling Committee has managed to up the floor capacity on the rink, given that far more students are probably going to make the trek for this year’s lineup than did last time around:
“A Kendrick ticket alone at a normal concert is going to cost about twice this price, so it’s a good steal.”
In a move that has pissed off a few students and stunned no one, Spring Fling Committee has begun charging money for guest passes, which have been bumped from $0 to $20 faster than you can say “Cooper Union’s tuition.” The news matter-of-factly popped up on this blog last Tuesday, in a post by killofrights (who, I should disclose, is a member of Spring Fling Committee):
Guest passes for non-students are now on sale at the Usdan box office. Tickets cost $20, and there is a limit of one guest ticket per student. You can charge it right to your student account. Get ‘em while you can, because guest passes will sell out.
Readers were quick to point out that no one has ever had to pay for guest passes in previous years, a fact slyly obscured by the committee’s announcement, and besides, Spring Fling Committee is just a bunch of evil hipster goons who probably wear sunglasses indoors. Everyone knows that.
According to co-chair Dylan “Dreamhost” Bostick ’13, the committee had to go above and beyond its original budget to snag this year’s lineup.
Are your non-Wes friends jealous of our Spring Fling lineup? Do they wanna come down and see Kendrick? Well, they can:
Guest passes for non-students are now on sale at the Usdan box office. Tickets cost $20, and there is a limit of one guest ticket per student. You can charge it right to your student account. Get ’em while you can, because guest passes will sell out.
For the event, you will need to leave your ID and your guest’s ID at the entrance as you enter and exit.
As always, Spring Fling is free for students. May 9! Get amped!
Place: Usdan Box Office
Bernstein ’13, a senior and former member of Spring Fling Committee, reflects on male domination in the Wesleyan music scene—and how it can be changed.
Ally Bernstein ’13 offers a critical view on the 2013 Spring Fling lineup, weighing in on an argument that appeared in the comments section of Thursday night’s announcement post:
As I struggle to match words to my experience, I recall the last time someone wrote an article critical of the gender imbalance in the Wesleyan music scene. Avery Trufelman ’13 wrote a Wespeak in 2010 in response to our general feelings of malaise as well as an upsetting incident of sexual assault at a Titus Andronicus concert. And while she wrote it during the beginning of our sophomore year, as a senior, I wonder how much has changed. At the recent, excellent Potty Mouth concert in the WestCo Café, an overwhelmingly male audience turned out to watch four punk ladies from Northampton churn out sweetly melodic lo-fi tunes. Spring Fling Committee is 72% male. The Spring Fling lineup is 100% male. The majority of campus bands are still male.
Since the Potty Mouth show, I’ve tried to figure out why. Why don’t more female Wesleyan students attend shows, and why don’t more female Wesleyan students play shows? Why are women not engaged by what Wesleyan has to offer? In 2012 I visited a friend living in Olympia, Washington, birthplace of riot grrrl and home base of Kathleen Hanna, who spoke at Wesleyan in 2010. I attended a show at my friend’s house, and every single band out of the four that played had at least one non-male member. Many had more. Not only did these ladies kill it, but the atmosphere in the crowded living room was electric. Men and women and non-binary folks were all feeding off the positive energy of dedicated people making good music. During that trip, I sat in on some band practices where people of all genders were collaborating and sharing and just figuring things out. The attitude was infectious.
“Concerts on Foss: now more than ever!”
Spring Fling is happening! The rumors are true: Paul Wall is officially booked and coming to Central Connecticut! Kevin Federline dropped out (as a freshman) and sent Kevin Curtin ‘13, YouTube drummer extraordinaire, in his place! House Party and dead prez are playing a collaborative set! Dean Brown and The Clover Street Band are covering Jefferson Airplane again!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, no. We’ll cut the crap and just give you the lineup, courtesy of Spring Fling Committee:
This year’s lineup still follows the loosely defined Spring Fling template of “rap act, indie-ish buzz band, raucous opening act” of the past few years, allowing us to reuse this sentence again and again, ya bishhh. Just kidding; Ryan Hemsworth seems to fit none of those categories, while Anamanaguchi probably takes buzz band and raucous opener simultaneously. “Electronic and electronically-backed music setting the stage for music press-electrifying rappers” is probably a better generalization this time around.
The lineup looks stacked this year! I’m excited to see the universal acclaim in the comments; a complete absence of complaints about the lineup has always been one of Spring Fling’s reliable standbys, year after year. (Ha ha ha.) Think your project’s missing? Put it in the submission form. Some quick overviews and music from the artists are after the jump.